At the beginning of the year I realized that I had not read a book in a while. So I embarked on a reading challenge. I aimed to read or listen to 24 books over the year.
As we near 2020 I am currently on my 23rd book so I decided to create this section of Daddyallstars.com to share my readings and hopefully help others rediscover reading or just discover a good or interesting book.
Feel free to suggest any book you think might enjoy. It may end up on my list. I am not a big fiction guy but if you have a good one that you think will convert me, suggest away.
2019 Reading Challenge
The Gladwell Section : A few years ago I heard Malcom Gladwell on a podcast and could not get enough of him, so this year I took a deep dive into all Gladwell related content, books, podcasts, interviews etc and I still cant get enough.
- Talking to Strangers: What we should know about the people we dont know by Malcom Gladwell
- What the dog saw and other advantures by Malcom Gladwell
- David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the art of battling Giants by Malcom Gladwell
- Blink : the power of thinking without thinking by Malcom gladwell
- The tipping point: how little things can make a big difference by Malcom Gladwell
- Outliers: The story of success by Malcom Gladwell
The Health Nut Section: I am curious about almost anything and how our body functions is definitely an obsession of mine. The four books below were key in changing a few things in my life this year. If you have any suggestions to add to this list, please comment below.
- The Longevity Code: the New science of Aging by Kris Verburgh
- Why we sleep : unlocking the power of sleep and dreams by Matthew Walker
- The obesity code: Unlocking the secret of Weight loss by Jason Fung
- The complete guide to Fasting: Healing your body through intermittent, alternate day, and extended fasting by Jason Fung and Jimmy Moore.
The Self-help Section: It’s pretty self explanatory.
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
- The 10 Pillars of Wealth: Mind-Sets of the worlds Richest People by Alex Becker
- Allen Carr’s Get out of Debt now by Allen Carr
The Economist In Me Section: Yes, I studied Economics in school and I am always interested in this topic. Looking back I can see that this list is very left leaning. I tried to read more conservative leaning content but couldn’t get trough some of the stuff I had selected. Maybe someone can share a few with me to ease me in. I do want different views and opinions to be as well rounded as I can be.
- Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner
- Everybody lies: Big Data, new data and what the internet can tell us about who we really are by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz
- Range: Why generalist triumph in specialized world by David Epstein.
- The Sharing Economy: the End of Employment and rise of Crowd-Based Capitalism by Arun Sundarajan
- Everything All at Once : How to Unleash your Inner Nerd, Tap into Radical Curiosity and solve Any Problem by Bill Nye
- Winners take all: the Elite charade of Changing the world by Anand Giridharadas
- The War on Normal people: The truth about america’s Disappearing jobs and why universal basic income is our Future by Andrew Yang.
The Nassim Nicholas Taleb Section: Below are two of the 4 book series on luck, uncertainty, probability, opacity, human error, risk, disorder, and decision-making in a world we don’t understand. Those books are heavy and dry but the math nerd in me stuck with them. I will read/listen to the other two in 2020.
- The black Swan: The Impact of the highly improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- Antifragile: Things that gain from disorder by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
The classics section: this will be for books people say everyone should read etc. this will be ongoing
- The art of war by Sun Tzu
This one is random, I saw it in the free section of my e-book app and remembered a conversations with a friend about it so I snatched it. Its old but timeless.
The IN PROGRESS section:
God Bless Africa: Contre la mort programmée du continent noir par Bernard Lugan (french)
The 7 principles for making Marriage work by John M. Gotman